More than a dozen Armenian NGOs have addressed an open letter to the president of the European Parliament, denouncing the joint statement of three MEPs on the construction of a new highway between Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh).
Below is the full text of the letter.
To the President of the European Parliament
Mr. David Maria Sassoli
Honorable Mr. President,
Getting acquainted with the content of the joint statementof the European Parliament made by Marina Kaljurand, Traian Băsescu and Željana Zovko we were surprised and at the same time deeply disappointed. There is an impression that the above mentioned authors simply oppose the approach adopted by the European Union, that all the processes on the Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) issue must comply with the principles of the OSCE Minsk Group's mediation activities. It should be noted that the authors of the statement are not familiar with the legal and political bases of the Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) issue. Otherwise, it must be assumed (we really want to be mistaken) that they are carrying out the dictate of the third side.
We have to remind that Nagorno Karabakh (Artsakh) has never been an integral part of Azerbaijan. Being self-determined since 1918-1920, the Armenians of Artsakh, even in the Soviet period, have had the status of a self-determined political territorial unit. The Armenian population of the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast (NKAO), adhering to the principles of international law,has begun the re-establishment of the right to self-determination on February 19, 1991 and, the referendum held on December 10, 1991 was the key factor of the accomplishment. On that day, the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic was proclaimed by the will of the absolute majority of the people.
Azerbaijan, which has not had a legal act of self-determination in accordance with international law for a hundred of years of its existence (any declaration of independence has not been approved by referendum), has adopted an aggressive, anti-Armenian, actually, racist policy and provoked a war against the peaceful population of NKR.
We remind the authors of the statement that for more than 30 years Azerbaijan has been besieging not only Nagorno Karabakh, but, together with Turkey, is taking in the blockade also the Republic of Armenia, exposing the entire population from being threatened with starvation. After all this, it is surprising that the authors of the statement do not condemn the atrocities of these countries, which are contrary to humanistic values and completely contrary to the values of the European Union, but instead use the term "occupied territory" in the statement, simply repeating Azerbaijan's illegal and illegal aspirations towards NKR (Republic of Artshakh) – the subject that has not yet been recognized internationally, but has been legally formed.
Thus, the NKR (Artsakh) has been establishedwithin the conditions of continuous racist and genocidal actions by Azerbaijan and at present continues to develop as a democratic, social, legal state, and, as such, it expects support from the European Union and not support to Azerbaijan's aggressive and anti-human goals.
As for the intention to build a roadway, it fully corresponds to the right to existence and the economic interests of the population living in NKR.
We, the representatives of the political and non-governmental organizations of the Republic of Armenia, condemn and demand the repeal of the provisions of the mentioned statement that contradict the international norms and basic human rights principles, which can be expressed in the resolution discussed by the European Parliament.
We are ready for a constructive dialogue, based on the possibility of a peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh issue according to the Helsinki Principles.
Thank you for your understanding and hope to hear your feedback about this issue soon.
Organizing Committee “In Defence of NKR”
1. Aram Sargsyan - Chairman of the Organizing Committee “In Defence of Nagorno Karabakh Republic" (Republic of Artsakh), Chairman of “Armenian Democratic Party”
2. Larisa Alaverdyan - Vice-Chairman of the Organizing Committee, Executive Director of "Against Legal Arbitrariness" NGO
3. Zhasmina Ghevondyan - Vice-Chairman of the Organizing Committee, President of the Educational-Cultural NGO "Neruzh" (Potential)
4. Alexander Manasyan - President of the "Academy of Political Studies" NGO, politician
5.Karine Danielyan - President of the “Association for Sustainable Human Development”, Candidateof the Biological Sciences, Doctor of Geographical Sciences, Professor
6. Jasmina Telyan – President of the "Armenian Woman - Support for Democracy" NGO
7. Mariam Avagyan - Coordinator of the “Congress of Refugees from the Azerbaijani SSR” NGO, Candidate of Biological Sciences, Associate Professor
8. Grigory Ayvazyan - Chairman of the "Assembly of Armeniansof Azerbaijan" NGO
9. Zoya Julhakyan - President of the "Caravan-88" charitable NGO
10. Sos Gyulumyan - "Gardman" compatriotic union
11. Elena Khachatryan - “Crossroads" NGO, Candidate of technical sciences, Associate professor
12. Victor Solakhyan – “Center for the Development of Civil Society” NGO